Whole country is in midst of corona virus pandemic and almost all the activities have been cancelled. Yet in some colleges, classes have been done through online platforms. In spite of these circumstances, Ambedkar Study Circle of ARSD College on 14 April 2020 has launched its first e-magazine, The Blue Sky on the occasion of the 129th birth anniversary of Babasaheb Ambedkar. It was an online meeting and there were 60 participants, including the Principal, Dr. Gyantosh Kumar Jha, faculty members, students and ex- students.The event was hosted by Anshul (Vice-president, Ambedkar Study Circle) and he discussed about how the idea of this e-magazine was proposed. Then he invited the convener Mr. Ajeet Kumar, who talked about the history of the Ambedkar Study Circle and also thanked Principal sir for his support. Later he explained that under the blue sky everybody is equal and that’s why they selected this name- the blue sky- for the magazine. Then he invited Principal sir to address the participants. After that Mr. Ajeet launched the magazine, it comprised of 30 pages and then he elucidated each article, poem of magazine written by the students, ex- members of society and some faculty members. At the end of the meeting he asked all the participants to share their views and also proposed an idea of organising a webinar in the future. The event has been covered by News 18 Urdu in Bihar, U.P. and Madhya Pradesh and also published in the print media, in Delhi Inquilab, Urdu newspaper Delhi edition (a group of Dainik Jagran) and in Veer Arjun.
Every year, with the start of the session we organise an orientation, programme for the new students and try to get Eminent personalities on board for the enlightenment of students. Our latest distinguished speakers were Dr. Harish Wankhede CPS/SSS/JNU) and Prof. Ajmer Singh Kajal (CIL/SLL & CS/JNU).We regularly conduct reading sessions and our latest reading sessions included Waiting for Visa; an uncompleted autobiography of Dr. B.R.Ambedkar, Revisiting 1956: B. R. Ambedkar and States Reorganization written by Sudha Pai and Avinash Kumar, Eminent Parliamentarian Monograph series on Dr.Ambedkar which was published by Lok Sabha Secretariat, New delhi.To facilitate the curiosity in the minds of students to read more and more about Dr. Ambedkar, we have organised two debate competitions, one essay writing competition, one Seminar, movie screenings like ‘Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar’ by Jabbar patel. and a visit to Ambedkar Memorial in New Delhi.
- Seminar on the topic “Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi: society, politics And Philosophy”, keynote speaker was Prof. Mridula Mukherjee (CHS/JNU) in collaboration with Gandhi Study Circle and Departments of Hindi & History on 23rd and 24th January, 2020.
- A talk on “Discrimination in Higher Studies: Rohith Vemula, the Unforgettable”, the speaker were two research scholars Mr. M. Kranthi Kumar (M.phil Sociology /JNU) and Mr. Dinesh Kumar (research scholar/ Ambedkar university, Delhi) on 17 January 2020.
- A visit to Dr. S.L. Dhani’s house. Five students along with our convener Mr. Ajeet kumar visited him on 24th October, 2019.
- The fresher’s India quiz. This was an inter-college quiz competition for freshers held on 25th 2019.
- Intra college competition, Speak out, where students had to share their experience on the light of Babasaheb Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar’s writing “Waiting for a visa” on 24th 2019.
- Two-day national seminar on the topic “Kabir and Bhakti Movement” on 19th and 20th 2019, in collaboration with Departments of History and Hindi.
Apart from these events, members of Ambedkar Study Circle, ARSD college has started teaching children of slum from this year for the betterment of their future and they also spread the ideas of ambedkar.